1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Temporary emails are not supported for signing up accounts on 3DS Chaos, this includes 10 minute emails. All will be detected by our system & the accounts will be deleted
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Shared accounts, multiple accounts & inappropriate usernames not allowed on our site

Please use a legit email account from a reliable email provider, temporary email accounts are not allowed & will be rejected by our system
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Problem Signing up?

Please use the contact us link at the bottom of the site listing the problem with your email & ip addresses & the problem will be looked into by our admin team
    Dismiss Notice

Tutorial Downloading & Installing Wii U Games, Setting up CFW, Installing Haxchi

MattKimura Nov 13, 2016

Tags:
  1. tomhanks69

tomhanks69 Active Member

for some reason suddenly im getting a "could not load file /wii/apps/homebrew launcher/homebrew launcher.elf" error when trying to launch the homebrew launcher now. its worked perfectly in the past and now this is all it does. anyone know why?

2. MattKimura

MattKimura Active Member

Check your SD card. It should be:
    wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher/homebrew_launcher.elf

Also be sure your SD card is formatted as FAT32, and you also insert it correctly

3. Loki_

Loki_ New Member

Thanks for the guides, helps me a lot! Just a question, right now i have Mario Kart 8 with Updates and Dlcs installed on internal memory, I'd like to install the same game throw uTikDownloadHelper with Brazilian method on my External USB, but keeping the savegame from the one I have on internal HD. Is this possible? I have to delete all data of MK8 from internal HD? But before, how can i extract the savegame? Thx

4. MattKimura

MattKimura Active Member

Nope the game + save must be stored on either internal or external. You can't split the game and save on two seperate storages.
    I believe the game registers the game to one specific storage, so having the game on internal AND external wouldn't be possible.

5. gilby

gilby New Member

thanks!

6. bigdadblair

bigdadblair Member

?Loving the updates!! Its good we are kept up to date. Did the setup files change, or the image? or just added the FAQ section?

When you say. "old games are stuck to old drive" does this mean you cannot format your hardrive to use again for something else?

7. MattKimura

MattKimura Active Member

Oh hey a follower! Thanks for the feedack, I'll try to add what's new from now on. Most of the changes are to the text. I'm about to upload a new pack tonight, to get ready for a new tutorial. Coldbooting haxchi has arrived and it works perfect. There hasn't been an update to fw.img since Dec 6th, you should be good to go with the one you have.

By being stuck on the old drive, I mean that you can't just transfer it to any other drive. So if you wanted those games back on the next drive, you'd have to reinstall them. But of course you can always format the drive in windows and it'll be good to use again for anything else. Once formatted by the Wii U, it's a slave to the wii U until you format it on a computer.

bigdadblair likes this.
  8. bigdadblair

bigdadblair Member

Wow Coldbooting haxchi !! Sweet can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for all your work. Your the man!!

9. MattKimura

MattKimura Active Member

Haha thanks, all I did was write a guide of an existing possibility created by a genius named FIX94. I didn't create the method myself : p

10. bigdadblair

bigdadblair Member

I understand that, but I like the way you simplify it.

11. efen3001

efen3001 Member

Any chance getting banned using Haxchi method?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    MattKimura likes this.
  12. tomhanks69

tomhanks69 Active Member

if i block system updates can i still play online though? Also, does my sd card have to stay in my wii u after installing coldboot

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    MattKimura likes this.
  13. Megatron

Megatron New Member

nice write up...thanks for making it easy for a noob lol

MattKimura likes this.
  14. MattKimura

MattKimura Active Member

Yup you can still play online while DNS blocking. It only blocks a few things like Eshop, and game updates. If you wanted Eshop access or game updates, you can use NNUPatcher. It still blocks updates and temporarily allows eshop and game updates until you shut it down.
    Thanks for the ideas for the Q&A

tomhanks69 likes this.
  15. Megatron

Megatron New Member

I have completed every step flawlessly and every step worked. Now I want to know what more can I do..by the way thanks again Matt for breaking it down for a brotha

16. tomhanks69

tomhanks69 Active Member

Thanks a bunch! And as for the SD card? After coldboot is installed am I at any point able to remove the sd card?

17. stevenqr

stevenqr New Member

First, thanks for that great tutorial. I have a question: WiiU's firmware is on 5.5.0, any problem with that? someone has tested with that firmware?. Thanks.

18. alex97

alex97 New Member

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I have a question for you. I followed your guide and installed a DLC using Mocha/wupinstaller mod y method. Game was successfully installed but I am not able to see it in my my wii u menu. When I go to systems and data management, I could see the game as installed. How do I go about executing the game?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  19. MattKimura

MattKimura Active Member

Bump

20. triplekiller

triplekiller New Member

Hey fellas, first i wanna thank you for this tutorial, as I could get the Wii-U to CFW state in a mere 6 hours or so XD
    But now I have a few questions that I don´t see asked anywhere before, so maybe you guys can help me.

1. Is there a way to check how much Diskspace is left on the Harddrive/USB-Stick used for the Wii-U?

2.Is it possible to uninstall Games from an external Drive without losing Coldboot?

3.Is there a way to backup the Wii-U NAND now that I have Sigpatches CFW or do you need a hardmod for this?

That´s all for now, and wish you all a merry Christmas Holiday!